National Social Work Competency Framework (NSWCF)

(Taken from the Ministry of Social and Family Developments’ Press Release on the Launch of the National Social Work Competency Framework: http://app.msf.gov.sg/Press-Room/Launch-of-the-National-Social-Work-Competency-Framework )


The National Social Work Competency Framework (NSWCF) was launched on 20 Nov 2015 by Minister for Social and Family Development, Mr Tan Chuan-Jin. The NSWCF will guide the development of social workers across different settings, such as healthcare and community-based social service organisations. The NSWCF will serve as a career guide for more than 1,600 social workers in Singapore.


The development of the NSWCF was led by a Steering Committee comprising 16 senior professionals from the social service and healthcare sectors and the academia. Extensive consultations were also carried out with social workers from a wide range of organisations and fields of practice. This initiative was jointly supported by the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF), Ministry of Health (MOH) and the National Council of Social Service (NCSS). The NSWCF details the career opportunities for social workers and the accompanying job roles, knowledge, skills and behavioural attributes necessary for their career progression. To cater to social workers working in a variety of settings, the common roles and competencies defined within the framework account for 80% of the required skillsets. The remaining 20% comprise the requirements of specific work settings, such as healthcare, family service centres, and eldercare facilities.


To facilitate the adoption of NSWCF for social workers and their organisations, a career development guide, entitled “My Career: A Professional Development Guide for Social Workers”, and a HR Toolkit, entitled “Talent Handbook: A Guide for Competency-Based Talent Management”, have been designed. The career development guide empowers social workers to assess their competency level, identify developmental needs, and chart their own developmental plans, while the HR Toolkit helps organisations understand and adopt a competency-based approach for talent management.


More information on the NSWCF can be found hereThe NSWCF publication is available here and the accompanying Career Development Guide here